Urban Student Life take the protection and security of your personal information very seriously and this policy sets out our responsibilities under The General Data Protection Regulation (‘GDPR’) and other applicable laws in England and Wales relating to the processing and security of personal information.
This policy explains to you how Urban Student Life uses and secures your personal information whilst you are using the Urban Student Life website or when you enter into a contract with Urban Student Life to provide services to your organisation.
Urban Student Life is the trading name of Homes For Students Ltd a company registered in England and Wales, with company no: 9840367, whose registered address is Homes for Students Ltd, The Innovation Centre, Hornbeam Park, Hookstone Road, Harrogate, HG2 8QT. Our operations office is located at the following address 28 Bolton Street, London, W1J 8BP.
Our Data Protection Officer is Declan Lowy. Please contact Declan if you have any questions about how your personal information is used by Urban Student Life on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0371 705 3437.
This policy was last updated on 20th May 2018.
Why do we collect personal information?
Urban Student Life processes personal information for its own legitimate business purposes, which include the following:
Where the processing enables Urban Student Life to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our products, services and communications for the benefit of our customers.
- To better understand how individuals interact with our websites.
- To enhance the security of our network and information systems.
- To determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- To provide further information where requested by our customers on social media platforms
Cookies and Google Analytics
We set cookies for visitors who login to our secure area to enable them to browse the whole site without having to log back into the secure area again in the same session. We also use Google Analytics, which sets a cookie, to collect anonymous visitor activity on our website to enable us to improve and enhance our website for our visitors and customers. In addition, we use a number of social media tools to enhance visitor interaction on our site.
If you already use these platforms their cookies may be set through our website. Data may then be collected by these companies that enables them to serve up adverts on other sites that they think are relevant to your interests.
If you do not use such platforms, then our site will not place these cookies on your device. Using our online chat functionality may also mean that we collect information on your country and IP address.
This information will not be used for any purpose other than to enhance the functionality and performance of the website.
We do not sell or share any of your data with anyone outside of the Urban Student Life Group or anyone who does not have a legal basis for holding such information. You can disable your cookies at any time.
What personal information does Urban Student Life collect?
We may collect the following information:
- Contact information, including email address, telephone number and postal address
- Your property requirements
- IP address
Browsing our website: When you browse our website, we may collect the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the PC you are using, this data is anonymous and we cannot identify you at this point. We collect this data so that we can identify where customers are dropping out of the website and to identify areas of improvement to make the experience more engaging for our customers.
Requesting further information from us: Where you request further information from us by completing a form on our websites in relation to our products and services, you can choose if you wish to opt for our email campaigns and your details will be added to our marketing database to receive marketing from Urban Student Life relevant to the products and services you have an interest in.
What we do with the information we gather:
- Maintain internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
We may periodically send promotional emails about new properties, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address provided by you.
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone or post.
We may share your information with third parties, including, but not limited to:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, in relation to any contract we enter into with them or with you
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site and services.
- Passing the names of new tenants to utility companies
- ·Passing the names and details of new tenants to the Council for council tax exemption purposes
- ·Seeing references which were provided to letting/managing agents
- Disclosing details of a tenant who has left leaving rent arrears to a tracing agent or debt collector to help them recover money owed
- Passing on forwarding addresses of former tenants to utility companies
- Providing tenant’s name to individual landlords, where applicable
- Providing tenant’s contact details to repairers in work needs to be carried out
- Using CCTV to monitor communal areas (but only with appropriate signage warning the occupants of the CCTV)
- Notifying other joint tenants of any rent arrears owed by another tenant
- Informing the guarantor where the tenant has failed to pay rent
Please be assured we do not sell your personal information to third party companies for marketing purposes.
Accuracy of your personal information
As part of the account management process Urban Student Life will, on a regular basis enquire if the personal information we hold about you is correct. You can also ensure your personal information is correct by:
- Contacting Urban Student Life on email@example.com
- Alternatively, you can contact your Urban Student Life Manager who will ensure they update your records.
Security of your personal information
How long do we retain your personal information for and why?
Where we have collected your personal information for marketing purposes we will retain your personal information for as long as you remain subscribed to our mailing lists or until the time when you inform us that you no longer wish to receive marketing from us.
For account management purposes, we will retain the personal information for as long as we have the relationship with your organisation.
If Urban Student Life no longer has a relationship with your organisation then we will only keep the relevant information such as invoices for audit purposes 5 years after the relationship with Urban Student Life has ended.
Once Urban Student Life is informed, you are no longer the contact we need to liaise with, or your leave your organisation, we will remove your details from our system.
Your rights under GDPR=Urban Student Life is processing your personal information, for our Commercial Benefit and for the benefit of the organisation, you are representing.
As an individual, you may have certain rights under the GDPR regarding the use of your personal information, these are:
- The right to object – you can object to Urban Student Life processing your personal information at any time
- The right to be forgotten – you can request that Urban Student Life remove your personal information from our systems
- The right to access your personal information – You have a right to know what personal information Urban Student Life hold on you and for what purpose we are processing your personal information this is known as a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR). These requests must be made in writing by either email or letter with photographic identification to confirm your identity.
- You can send these requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by post to the address noted below:
Urban Student Life MPAC Building, office 4:1 Bridport Street Liverpool L3 5QF