Privacy Statement – Guarantors
PURPOSE OF OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation, we are required to explain to you why we are asking for this information about you, how we intend to use the information you provide and whether we will share this with anyone else.
WHO ARE WE?
We are Homes for Students, one of the UK’s leading providers of student accommodation. Homes for Students is part of the ANUK national code, which demonstrates our commitment to providing good quality housing for students. Homes for Students is a registered business ‘Company Registration Number 9840367’ and its Head Office address is The Innovation Centre, Hornbeam Park, Hookstone Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 8QT. Prestige Student Living, Brunswick House, NOW and Urba Life are brands of Homes for Students.
DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
Our Data Protection Officer is responsible for overseeing what we do with your information and monitoring our compliance in line with the data protection regulations.
If you have any concerns or questions about our use of your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer in writing: The Data Protection Officer, Homes for Students, 3 Clock Tower Park, Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley, Liverpool L10 1LD or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHY ARE WE COLLECTING YOUR INFORMATION?
The information that you provide to us during the Guarantor process is required by Homes for Students in order for us to meet the obligations of our contract. This information is specifically regarding you and without this information; we would not be able to meet our contractual obligations under the shorthold tenancy agreement.
WHAT INFORMATION ARE WE COLLECTING?
The only information which we are collecting is the information which you provide to us via the guarantor documents, web portal, in email, via the post or in person. The information we collect includes:
- Name, Address, email address and further contact details;
- Date of Birth;
- Proof of Address and residency (e.g. a copy of a utility bill);
- ID documents;
- A signed Guarantor Agreement;
WHAT WE ARE GOING TO DO WITH YOUR INFORMATION
The information you provide to us will be used for the following purposes:
- It will be stored and used by us in accordance with this privacy statement and also in accordance with your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation;
- It will be collected and used by us fairly and openly for the purpose of managing our contract and for debt recovery for those persons you are acting as a Guarantor for.
- It will allow us to make contact with you in the most appropriate way.
WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR USING YOUR INFORMATION?
In accordance with the data protection laws, we need a “legal basis” for collecting and using information about you. There are a variety of different legal basis for processing personal data which are set out in the data protection laws.
The lawful basis on which we rely on in order to use the information which we collect about you, for the purposes set out in this notice will be:
- Using your information in this way is necessary for us to perform a contract between us and the individual you are acting as a Guarantor for.
- Using your information is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation to which we are subject.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
OTHER HOMES FOR STUDENTS BRANDS
Homes for Students Ltd is made up of a number of related student accommodation brands. We will share your information within Homes for Students Ltd in order to best provide the services to you in accordance with your enquiry and any future contract between us.
Your information will only be accessed internally within Homes for Students Ltd where it is necessary to do so in order to provide services to you in accordance with your enquiry and any future contract. The obligations which are set out in this notice shall apply to all brands that make up Homes for Students Ltd to the same extent.
REGULATORS AND OTHER LEGAL OBLIGATIONS
We may also be required to share your information with our regulators who are permitted access to this information by law and with other organisations where we have a legal obligation to share the information with them.
We may from time to time share your information with other organisations, such as:
- Partner organisations whom we have data sharing agreements with, for example, institutions of Study, Universities or Agencies acting on our behalf;
- Our clients for statistical analysis, audit or debt collection purposes;
- The police for the purpose of detection and prevention of crime;
- To assist with the management of our contracts we may utilise debt recovery/deposit protection and credit reference agencies where applicable.
TRANSFERRING YOUR INFORMATION ABROAD
We will not transfer the information you provide to us outside of the European Economic Area.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
The information that you provide will be stored securely on our systems and any paper records you have completed will be shredded. Homes for Students has in place robust security measures and procedures which reflects the seriousness of how we approach the security of your information and the value we attached to this.
Only those members of staff who are deemed as relevant to requiring access to your information will have sight of the information you provide to us.
CAN WE USE YOUR INFORMATION FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE?
Only in limited circumstances may we use your information for a purpose other than those set out in this document. However, if we intend to do so, we will provide you with information relating to that purpose before going ahead and doing so.
STORING AND DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
We will store the personal data which you provide to us for as long as you (or the person you are acting as a guarantor for) remains a service user.
Once you are no longer acting in a guarantor capacity and are no longer a service user of ours, we will review the information which we hold concerning you and determine whether there are any reasons why we need to continue holding that information.
If a service user is in arrears when they leave the property, it may be necessary to retain information about them in order to recover those arrears or to use the information you have provided to contact you as the guarantor.
There also may be regulatory and/or business best practice requirements which dictate the length of time the data is held. Once the identified purpose comes to an end, unless there is another identifiable purpose for which it is necessary to hold your information, this shall be deleted.
In relation to the information which we hold about you, you are entitled to:
- Ask us for access to the information;
- Ask us to rectify the information where it is inaccurate or is incomplete;
- Ask us to erase the information and take steps to ask others who we have shared your information with to also erase it;
- Ask us to limit what we do with your information;
- Object to our use of your information and ask us to stop that use;
- Instruct us to provide you with the information we hold about you in a structured and commonly used format or transmit that information directly to another organisation.
Our obligations to comply with the above rights are subject to certain exemptions.
Where we are using your information because you have provided your consent to that use, you are entitled to withdraw your consent at any time. The lawfulness of our use of your information before consent is withdrawn will not be affected.
To exercise any of the rights referred to above, you should contact our Data Protection Officer by writing to The Data Protection Officer, Homes for Students, 3 Clock Tower Park, Longmoor Lane, Fazakerley, Liverpool L10 1LD or at email@example.com.
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (the “ICO”) if you are not satisfied with the way we use your information. You can contact the ICO by writing to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.